If you're a budding property developer or want to build an extension for your home but aren't sure where to start, this course is for you. You'll learn to manage the development of a new extension from obtaining planning permission to design and construction. The course will teach you the legal requirements to consider and how to overcome common challenges when altering, converting or extending a building.
The course covers:
- The principles behind alterations, conversions and extensions
- Understanding technical plans and drawings including elevations, cross sections and details
- Planning permission applications and building regulation procedures
- Sourcing materials and services
- Writing a specification and work schedule and organising time frames for construction and other tasks
- Calculating the cost of building materials and construction labour
- Selecting the best builders and tradesmen and arranging a contract and tender documents
- Methods for monitoring the progress of your project.
There are no formal entry requirements, but it's helpful if you have a basic understanding of maths so you can measure and calculate simple quantities.
Please bring a calculator with you. You may need to access a computer at home to carry out some tasks.
You may want to use this course to support a career in property development or home improvement. Try one of our DIY courses to learn more about basic construction and home maintenance.
All courses run subject to demand and the content listed here should be used as a guide only. Course content may vary according to a range of factors such as course duration, campus, teaching staff and requirements from awarding bodies. Check our course and fee guidelines for further details.
Apply for this course
DIY and Home Improvements
Professional training qualifications