This course gives you the skills and knowledge to compete in the world of civil engineering. It brings different subjects together such as construction technology, design and sustainability. It will prepare you for university-level study or a career in civil engineering. The course has been developed with your career progression in mind and to help you be recognised by professional bodies such as the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). You'll cover planning, design and production phases of the construction process, construction methods and techniques used in earthworks, substructures and superstructures, application of mathematical concepts and management principles.
Core and mandatory units include:
- Design principles and their application
- Science and materials
- Applied maths
- A group project in the construction industry
- Site surveying procedures
- Engineering geology and soil mechanics
- Civil engineering technology
- Structural analysis and design.
The name of the course, as it appears on your qualification or certificate, will be BTEC HNC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment
Continuous assessment through coursework, which may include laboratory work and timed assignments.
- GCSE maths and English grade A*-C/9-4 or equivalent; AND
- A related Level 3 qualification, which could be an Access to Higher Education Certificate or equivalent, and must include maths-orientated units such as further maths and structure mechanics / analysis and design.
- OR at least one A-level or equivalent in a relevant subject at grade A*-C OR more than one A-level at grades A*-E.
- OR related work experience (if you're an older learner we will take into account your paid and unpaid experience, professional qualifications and life experience). Your interview will include a written assessment based around Level 3 further maths or structure mechanics.
For international students, you will need an IELTS score of 5.5 (minimum 5.0 in each section) or equivalent. Find out more in the international pages.
There may be materials you need to help with your studies. You'll either make a one-off payment for these when you enrol, or you'll buy them during the course. Your tutor will talk to you about this at interview or in your first class (if you don't need an interview).
Depending on your course and circumstances, you may be able to get funding to help with materials fees. Please check with us when you come in for interview or enrolment.
Progress onto a HND or other university-level course or find work in the engineering or construction sector.
All courses run subject to demand and the content listed here should be used as a guide only. Course content may vary according to a range of factors such as course duration, campus, teaching staff and requirements from awarding bodies. Check our course and fee guidelines for further details.
Apply for this course