Sign up or log in to mySTC for extra features


Search for a course that's right for you

Find my Course


Build your own prospectus for information you want

Prospectus Builder


apply now
  • apply now
  • guide Advice and Guidance 1 910px290px
  • South Thames College How to Apply Application process Fees information cost How to sign up

Financial support

Depending on your circumstances, you could get funding to help you while you're at college. This includes help with childcare costs through the Government's Care to Learn fund or our own childcare bursary.

For advice on financial support and what support you could receive, speak to our Welfare Advisers in the Advice Centres at Merton and Wandsworth, or Student Services at Tooting. Phone 020 8918 7777 and ask for Student Services.

Advanced Learner Loans

If you’re 19 or older, live in the UK and are taking a Level 3 or Level 4 course, you could receive Government funding to help pay for your course. The loan isn’t means tested and you don’t have to pay upfront or pay anything back until you’re earning over £21k a year. And if you take the loan out to study and Access to HE course then go straight on to complete a higher education course, you won't have to pay anything back. 

Find out more about Advanced Learner Loans.

Learner Support Fund

If you're 16-18 you may be able to apply for a student bursary of up to £1,200 a year from the College. 

To be eligible for this you should be:

  • In care or a care leaver
  • In receipt of the Disability Living Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance
  • Living independently receiving Income Support or Universal Credit in your name.

To apply, pick up the appropriate Learner Support Fund application form at Student Services.

Free College Meals

You could receive a set amount on your college ID card to spend in college canteens if you're:

  • Aged 16-18 at the start of your course; or
  • Aged 19-25 and have an Education, Health and Care plan or Learning Difficulty Assessment.

You or your parents or carers also need to receive at least one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided there is no entitlement to Working Tax Credit and the household annual gross income is below an agreed amount)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

To apply, pick up a Learner Support Fund application form from the Advice Centre or Student Services. You'll need to give us information on your household income with your application.

Financial help for university-level courses

You could receive a student loan if you're on a higher education course. This is a government loan and is repaid depending on your income. Our Student Services and Advice Centre team can talk you through how the loan could work for you.

If you've been accepted on a higher education course and you have a disability, learning difficulty or medical condition that affects your learning, you could be eligible for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). For details on eligibility and how to apply, read our DSA information booklet. You should apply for DSA as soon as possible and our Learner Support team can help you with this.

Adult leisure courses

You might be able to get a discount on some of our adult courses if you are 60 or older or are receiving income-based benefit.

To get a discounted course fee you need to come in to enrol at Student Services at any of our campuses - you can't enrol over the phone. You will need to bring proof of benefits or age. Proof of benefit status needs to be from the last two months.

Please note you may still have to pay a materials fee on some courses.