Aurora is our non-residential, specialist centre for 16-25 year olds with autistic spectrum disorder and complex needs. We offer bespoke educational opportunities in this specialist centre, based at our Merton campus.
What we provide
After an assessment you will get a curriculum programme tailored to your specific needs. This will be based around three key areas to develop your independence: living, work and community. You may study these areas at different levels, and you can work towards qualifications at Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3. You'll be involved in setting and reviewing your targets and our team at Aurora will liaise closely with parents and guardians to make sure that learning is transferred from college to home.
Sessions at the centre run from 9am-3pm four days a week, with one teacher to every 6-8 learners. You might need extra support from a learner support worker - this could be one-to-one or as part of a group, depending on your assessment. Support is also available from other specialist staff such as speech and language learning therapists and Deaf education specialists.
You will have the opportunity to take part in supervised work experience during your programme. The placement and amount of time spent there varies from learner to learner.
- Download and fill in an application form, and send it back via email or post as detailed on the form.
- Applications need to be completed by September for a start date of September the following year.
- We will review your application and arrange your assessment (a school observation) in September/October.
- You will receive an offer letter in December/January.
- If possible, we will attend the final annual review at your school and liaise with other professionals involved in your care.
- We will then arrange for you to take part in a weekly transition day at the centre during the last half of the summer term before you join us.
Our Local Offer
We want information about our services to be clear and accessible. This is also our responsibility under the Government's Special Educational Needs Regulations (Local Offer) 2014. If you're unsure of the support we can offer you, please get in touch.