Vehicle paint technicians
Vehicle paint technicians use spray equipment to apply paint, cellulose and other protective or decorative materials to the bodywork of motor vehicles.
- Applies masking material to protect areas not to be coated and removes any external fixtures
- Consults vehicle colour code, chooses appropriate paint or mixes paint to achieve desired consistency and colour
- Uses hand or electrostatic spray gun to coat surfaces, adjusting nozzle and pressure valves of the gun as required
- Removes masking materials and refits external fittings after completion of spraying
- Cleans and maintains spray equipment, protective clothing and spraying booth.
There are no formal academic entry requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available. Apprenticeships at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 are also available and take between three to four years to complete.