Our craft courses will teach you a range of creative skills you can use to start a small business making and selling your own unique products. They're also a great way to improve your dexterity, meet new people and develop an interest.
You will learn traditional lead and copper foil techniques and glass painting to enable you to produce stained glass panels, lampshades, mirrors, etc. You will also learn kiln formed glass techniques such as fusing and slumping which will enable you to create decorative items such as bowls, dishes, panels and jewellery.
Tools and equipment are provided but learners will need to provide their own glass. The tutor will give advice on where and how to source materials. More advanced students can progress onto larger and more complex projects.
By the end of the course you'll be able to:
- Cut glass into a variety to size
- Design projects and make working drawings
- Complete projects to a high standard using a range of skills including soldering, preparation of lead, glazing and finishing techniques
- Use materials and equipment safely
- Use warm glass methods such as fusing and slumping
- Projects will be graded with reference to existing skills and experience as well as personal goals
- Learners will receive demonstrations on all of the techniques mentioned
- Beginners will create a small leaded panel from design stages through to completion as well as some fused items, a copper foil piece and some glass painting samples
- More advanced learners will decide on a project and develop existing skills
Students will agree course goals for the term. Demonstrations will be followed by student practice towards completion of chosen project - individual advice and guidance will be given. Specific skill topics and themes will be introduced for student research.
Tutor feedback and your own evaluation as well as feedback from the group.
A fee for basic materials will be charged on enrolment, in addition you will need to pay for the materials you use during the course, this is determined by the project you choose but will be approximately £10. Your tutor will advise you when you start the course.
All courses run subject to demand and the content listed here should be used as a guide only. Course content may vary according to a range of factors such as course duration, campus, teaching staff and requirements from awarding bodies. Check our course and fee guidelines for further details.
Apply for this course