Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate Construction and the Built Environment (Construction) RQF - Level 4
The HNC is equivalent to the first year of a standard three-year university degree. After the HNC, you can move onto a HND with us or with another institution and then on to a one-year university top-up programme to earn a full degree.
Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Diploma in Construction and The Built Environment (Construction) effectively builds underpinning core skills, with general specialisation; preparing the student for further specialisation at Level 5 or training. Students will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios.
The core units are:
Core units Mandatory 1: Individual Project (Pearson-set) 2: Construction Technology 3: Science & Materials 4: Construction Practice & Management
Specialist unit Mandatory 5: Legal & Statutory Responsibilities in Construction 6: Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)
And, two from the following list of Optional Units 7: Surveying, Measuring & Setting-out 13: Tender & Procurement 14: Building Information Modelling 18: Civil Engineering Technology 21: Site Supervision & Operations
Teaching and Assessment: Methods of teaching includes lectures, tutorials and supervised study as well as on line teaching. All assessment are spread across the year to make the workload manageable
- Effectively planned trips, which have a direct relevance to the syllabus, would add value to the learning experience
- Guest speaker Experts from industry or visiting academics in the subject area that is being studied.
- Workshops are used to build on knowledge shared via tutors and seminars.
The name of the course, as it appears on your qualification or certificate, will be L4 - HNC Construction and the Built Environment (Construction) (RQF) (PEARSON)
For the HNC, 15-credit unit at Level 4 - will be assessed by a mandatory Pearson-set assignment targeted at skills. All other units are assessed by centre-devised internal assignments.
BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and the Built Environment (or a related subject)
- GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject; this profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as Maths and English
- Other related Level 3 qualifications
- Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution
- Related work experience
- International equivalent of the above.
There may be materials you need to help with your studies. You'll either make a one-off payment for these when you enrol, or you'll buy them during the course. Your tutor will talk to you about this at interview or in your first class (if you don't need an interview).
Depending on your course and circumstances, you may be able to get funding to help with materials fees. Please check with us when you come in for interview or enrolment.
All courses run subject to demand and the content listed here should be used as a guide only. Course content may vary according to a range of factors such as course duration, campus, teaching staff and requirements from awarding bodies. Check our course and fee guidelines for further details.
Apply for this course
DIY and Home Improvements