Search for a course that's right for you

Find my Course


Build your own prospectus for information you want

Prospectus Builder


English courses 2
  • English courses 2
  • English courses 1
  • English courses 3

Adult GCSE and Functional Skills English and Maths


If you are 19 or over our GCSE and Functional Skills courses can help you develop your skills, grow in confidence and achieve your goals.

The courses are available across all levels so you will be able to study at the level best suited to you. If you have applied to study GCSE with us, depending on your assessment, we may recommend you study Functional Skills first.

Functional Skills are suitable for fluent English speakers, practical for work and life and they are a gateway to employment and some Access and HE courses.

GCSE are suitable for fluent English speakers who are working at Level 2. They are an intensive traditional UK school qualification, and are a gateway to employment and Access and HE courses.

You will work towards the Edexcel Functional Skills, Edexcel GCSE English or the AQA GCSE maths qualifications.

Entry requirements

Before you enrol, you will need to take an assessment with one of our tutors to help us determine your current level of knowledge and skill.

If you have already completed a Functional Skill qualification or a GCSE with a grade below 4 or a D, please bring along your certificates when you come for your assessment.

These courses are fully funded by the government so they are free of charge.

When and where can I study?

Courses are run at our Wandsworth Campus and Tooting Centre. We have courses in the morning, afternoons and evenings.

Book an assessment for adult GCSE and Functional Skills English and maths courses

You will need to book an assessment with one of our tutors:

  • Select the campus of your preference Wandsworth or Tooting below
  • Choose a time and date
  • You will receive a confirmation email with the time and date of your assessment
  • Follow the link in the email to open an account
  • Once you open your account, click on register to apply for this course

Please note that you must complete your registration before you come for your assessment.



Email updates

You can receive email notifications when further assessment dates are added to this page by entering your details here.

Want to teach English?

Get in touch

Please let us know your name.
Please select your age group
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a number we can contact you on
Please tell us how we can help you.
Invalid Input

Register your interest

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter the characters below
Please try again. Characters are case sensitive.

Fee reductions for adult short courses

 Cost of course by campus
Students who are:WandsworthTootingMerton
Receiving income-based benefits £40* £40* 50% discount**
Aged 60 or over
  • For courses costing £53 or over you'll receive 30% off
  • For courses costing less than £53, the fee will be reduced to £40*

* There is no reduction for courses costing less than £40 
** Non-accredited courses only (courses that don't lead to a certificate or qualification)

How to apply for reduced fees

Come to Student Services at any of our campuses with payment and proof of your age or benefit status.

Accepted proof of age:

  • Passport
  • Driving license

Accepted proof of benefits:

  • A benefits letter dated from the last two months

If you're unsure whether you're eligible for reduced fees email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or pop into Student Services. Check our opening times before making your journey.


CELTA courses

There are no discounts available for any of our CELTA courses. To find out more about CELTA email us at 

Leisure courses

You might be able to get a discount on some courses if:

  • You are 60+ years of age. You may have to pay for materials on some courses
  • If you're on income-based benefit. It's usually £37 each term. You may have to pay for materials on some courses. There is no College registration fee for leisure courses.

    Please bring proof of your benefit status that is less than two months old when you enrol.

Qualification courses

Aged 16-18

You don't have to pay tuition or exam costs but you may have to pay for materials on some courses.

Please note that if you're applying for a reduced fee, your benefit evidence needs to be no older than two months.
Aged 19 or older not on benefits

You will have to pay tuition and exam costs and you may have to pay for materials on some courses.

Aged 19 or older on 'Active Benefits' eg Jobseekers Allowance

You don't have to pay tuition or exam costs but you may have to pay for materials on some courses. Please note that JSA signing on books are not accepted as proof of benefits for a reduced fee.

Aged 19 or older on other benefits eg income support

You may get a discount depending on the type or level of education you've done already. You may have to pay for materials on some courses.

New government funding for 24 and older!!

If you are taking a Level 3 or 4 course, you may be able to get a government loan to cover your course. Find out more here.

There is a College registration fee of £30 but only if you are on a qualification course that is not 'full cost'. You don't pay it if you're 18 or younger or on Active Benefits.


For CELTA courses

Apply for CELTA courses using the application form here. If you're applying for the CELTA taster day you'll need to follow the steps below to enrol.

For courses not leading to a qualification

You can enrol anytime between now and the start of your course using our enrolment form.

In person: Bring your completed form to any of our centres Monday to Thursday: 8.45am-7.00pm (10-4 during College holidays) Friday: 8.45am-4.00pm or Saturday 9.00am-1.00pm with:

  • Evidence of benefits or age(if you are applying for a reduced fee)
  • Payment (cash, cheque, credit or debit card)

By post (only if paying full fee): Send the enrolment form with a cheque or the credit card information completed to:

College Enquiry Unit, South Thames College, Merton Campus, FREEPOST CN2701, London Road, Morden Surrey, SM4 5QX

Please do not send cash in the post. Cheques should be made payable to: South Thames College Corporation. Please note we don't accept Electron or American Express cards.

By phone (only if paying full fee): Call us Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm on 020 8918 7777 with your credit or debit card to hand. You will soon be able to pay online too.


Which level is right for you?

You are at Entry 1 level if you:
  • Know the alphabet
  • Can write basic sentences and read very short texts
  • Can speak giving basic information about yourself.
You are at Entry 2 level if you can:
  • Write long sentences and read simple passages
  • Read and use the past tense
  • Speak giving detailed information about yourself
  • Speak using the past tense.
You are at Entry 3 level if you can:
  • Form more complicated sentences
  • Read more complex texts using different tenses and grammar
  • Express your opinions and debate on numerous topics.
You are at Level 1 if you can:
  • Write using a range of grammar techniques and varied vocabulary and sentence structure
  • Speak on a wide range of topics and can speak to persuade and challenge your listeners
  • Read, write and speak at a low GCSE level.

Advanced Learner Loan

If you're 19 or older at the start of this course and you've lived in the UK for 3 or more years, you could get a loan to help with your tuition fees. It's not means-tested, and you won't need to pay it back until you've finished your course and earn over £21,000 a year.

If you get an Advanced Learner Loan to study an Access course then go on to complete a HE course, your loan repayments will be wiped off.

The amount you'll receive depends on the course and tuition fees. The minimum is £300.

How to apply

You can apply for this loan once you've got a place on the course. After you've accepted your place we'll send you a learning and funding information letter which you need to complete your loan application. You can do this online on the website.

For full details about the loan and eligibility, see the UK government website.