Get work-ready on a course
If you’re not currently in work, we have plenty of options to prepare you for employment and improve your CV.
Build the knowledge and experience you need to work in specific industries through apprenticeships and training for work courses. Or, if you don't know what field you want to go into yet, enrol on the Prince's Trust Team Programme or one of our adult short courses to develop confidence and essential work skills.
Professional skills short courses
Build your confidence and pick up vital skills for any job on one of our work-focused short adult learning courses.
- Ticket to Level 1 - Entry Level
- Skills for Independence - Entry Level
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - Skills For Everyday Life - Introduction
- Counselling Skills: Preparing for Qualification - Introduction
- Employment Support - Create The Perfect CV - All Levels
- Employment Support - Interview Skills - All Levels
- Employment Support - Job Search Skills - All Levels
- Job Shop: Employment Support - Writing A Supporting Statement/Cover Letter - All Levels
- Performance Skills for Confidence Building - All Levels
- Preparation For Life in UK Test - All Levels
- Employability and Social Enterprise - Entry Level
- Pathway 2 Level 1 - Entry Level
- Personal Progress - Entry Level
- Progression Skills - Entry Level
- Supported Internships - Entry Level
See our full range of adult courses for more short courses across a range of subjects.
If you're over 16 and unemployed, you can combine days spent at College with work-based learning on an apprenticeship. You'll earn a wage and gain a recognised qualification at the end. Many of our apprentices go on to find work within the company they were an apprentice for.
You can find an apprenticeship through the Government’s apprenticeship vacancy matching service. If you don't see one that's right for you, our team could help set one up for you, particularly in these areas:
Prince's Trust Team Programme
If you're 16-25, this free 12 week programme will help you develop valuable skills for work through team activities, a community project and work placement in a field of your choice. You'll also get help with your CV, job applications and interview techniques. And, if you're claiming Job Seekers Allowance, you'll still receive this while taking the course.
Training for work
We work in partnership with Job Centre Plus to offer short training programmes across a range of subjects. These courses will give you practical, relevant skills in your chosen field, and you'll attend workshops on CV writing, interview techniques and searching for jobs.
These courses are open to anyone claiming job seekers' allowance and you can apply for them through your Job Centre Plus:
- Hotel and catering services
- Security and door supervision