Police Community Support Officers
Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) support the local police force by patrolling the streets to provide a visible and reassuring presence and to tackle a range of crime and disorder problems. PCSOs are also attached to the British Transport Police who operate the specialised police service for the railway network across Britain.
- Patrols a geographic area to monitor and deter criminal and anti-social activity and disorderly conduct
- Assists police officers at crime scenes and major events
- Carries out house-to-house enquiries
- Provides crime prevention advice and helps to support victims of crime
- May detain someone pending the arrival of a police officer
- May direct traffic and arrange for vehicles to be removed.
There are no formal educational requirements although entrants must pass written tests and undergo a medical check including an eyesight test. Nationality restrictions apply and background security checks will be made.