Book-keepers, Payroll Managers & Wages Clerks
Book-keepers, payroll managers and wages clerks maintain and balance records of financial transactions, oversee the operation of payroll functions and calculate hours worked, wages due and other relevant contributions and deductions.
- Records and checks accuracy of daily financial transactions
- Prepares provisional balances and reconciles these with appropriate accounts
- Supervises payroll team and develops payroll systems and procedures
- Calculates and records hours worked, wages due, deductions and voluntary contributions
- Processes holiday, sick and maternity pay and travel and subsistence expenses
- Compiles schedules and distributes or arranges distribution of wages and salaries
- Calculates costs and overheads and prepares analyses for management.
There are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades or equivalent qualifications, and maths may be required. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available, and apprenticeships may be available in some areas.