School secretaries provide administrative support in schools by keeping and maintaining school records and performing a range of routine clerical tasks within the school.
- Sorts, files and otherwise deals with incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Types directly or transcribes letters, reports and other documents, and prints or photocopies documents as required
- Maintains administrative records relating to pupils and staff, and generates statistical and other reports
- Handles enquiries from parents and arranges meetings with members of staff
- Undertakes reception duties for visitors, handles face-to-face and telephone enquiries and passes on messages
- Orders equipment and stationery
- Arranges payment of invoices, handles cash.
There are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants to professional secretarial courses typically require GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.