Glaziers, Window Fabricators & Fitters
Job holders in this unit group install pre-glazed wooden, metal or PVC framework, and cut, fit and set glass in windows, doors, shop fronts, and other structural frames.
- Examines drawings or specifications to determine job requirements
- Scores plain, coloured, safety and ornamental glass with hand cutter and breaks off glass by hand or with pliers
- Smoothes edges of glass and positions and secures in frame or grooved lead strips
- Applies mastic, putty or adhesive between glass and frame and trims off excess with knife
- Fixes mirror panels to interior and exterior walls and repairs and replaces broken glass.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship in Glazing Installation or Installing Architectural Glazing Systems leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.