Tailors & Dressmakers
Tailors and dressmakers prepare patterns and make, fit and alter tailored garments, dresses and other articles of clothing.
- Takes customer’s measurements and discusses required style and material
- Prepares individual or adapts stock pattern
- Examines fabrics or skins for flaws and prepares materials for cutting
- Arranges pattern on correct grain of fabric, marks position and cuts out garment parts with hand shears, electric knife or cutting machine
- Pins/tacks and fits garment on customer or dummy model and makes any necessary alterations
- Sews garment parts together by hand or machine, makes buttonholes and sews on fasteners and trimmings
- Shapes garment by pressing seams, pleats, etc.
- Makes alterations to finished garments according to customer’s requirements.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. A variety of relevant vocational courses, including apprenticeships in some areas, are available leading to qualifications up to Level 3.