Pre-press technicians prepare, format and compose text and graphics in a form suitable for use in a variety of print processes.
- Determines from specification the kind and size of type to be used
- Uses computer applications to generate images and text
- Scans and retouches digital images to create sample proofs, plans and lays out artwork to match planned design
- Examines proof copies, checks for quality and accuracy and makes any necessary alterations
- Processes filmsetting or desktop publishing output to produce image on film and transfers to printing plates and digital output
- Arranges and pastes printing material onto paper ready for photographing.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. Apprenticeships are available as well as BTEC certificates and diplomas and other vocational courses at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.