Print Finishing & Binding Workers
Print finishing and binding workers bind books and other publications and finish printed items by hand or machine.
- Folds, collates and sews printed sheets by hand or machine
- Compresses sewn book in nipping machine to expel air and reduce swelling caused by sewing
- Trims head, tail and fore-edge of book and gilds and marbles page edges as necessary
- Cuts board and cloth for book cover and spine
- Embosses lettering or decoration on cover by hand or machine
- Repairs worn book bindings
- Sets up and supervises automatic binding and finishing machine.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. National Traineeships and apprenticeships in Machine Printing are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.