Nursery Nurses & Assistants
Nursery nurses and assistants care for children from birth up to seven years of age in day or residential nurseries, children’s homes, maternity units and similar establishments.
- Baths, dresses, prepares feed for and feeds babies, changes babies clothing whenever necessary
- Supervises young children at mealtimes
- Plans and organises games and other activities and supervises children’s play
- Reads stories, organises counting games to help develop language and number skills
- Writes reports on children’s development and maintains awareness of health and safety issues
- Communicates with parents and colleagues on children’s development and well-being.
Entry is most common with GCSEs/S grades followed by the award of a certificate from the Council for Awards in Children’s Care and Education. An NVQ/SVQ in Child Care and Education or equivalent qualification at level 3 is required to work as a nursery nurse. CRB clearance is mandatory.