Glass & Ceramics Process Operatives
Glass and ceramics process operatives position articles ready for firing in kilns and operate and attend furnaces and kilns to make and treat glass and ceramic items.
- Directs loading of furnace with prescribed quantities and types of ingredients
- Sets timing and temperature controls, monitors pressure gauges, adjusts controls as necessary and regulates level of glass in furnace as required
- Operates controls to rotate rotary furnaces and create a vacuum in vacuum furnaces, ensures that static furnaces are correctly positioned and switches on current
- Monitors temperature of drying and annealing kilns and reports any significant deviations from schedule sheet
- Cuts off heat supply after firing/heating/drying and cleans furnace and kiln areas.
Academic qualifications are not normally required. Training is mostly on-the-job, the amount and extent depending on the equipment used and type of operations performed. NVQs/SVQs/vocational qualifications covering glass processing, glass manufacturing, kiln operations and manufacturing ceramic items are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3.