Printing Machine Assistants
Printing machine assistants set and operate letterpress, platen or cylinder, lithographic and photogravure printing machines, photocopiers, office printers, duplication machines and other reprographic equipment.
- Positions printing plates, loads inks into reservoirs and loads paper rolls or sheets into printing press
- Sets controls to control the speed, pressure and ink flow of printing machine
- Loads photocopiers, office printers, duplication machines and other reprographic equipment with stationery
- Starts reprographic or printing machine and monitors operation for paper misfeeds and error messages, removes blockages and replaces damaged paper, and monitors quality of output
- Carries out routine maintenance and cleaning of printing machine
- Sets and operates machines for cutting paper to specified dimensions or for folding or binding to produce finished paper items
- Sets and operates presses for stamping patterns and labels on textiles, clothing, pottery, footwear and other leather goods.
No academic qualifications are required. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in Screen Printing are available at Levels 1 and 2, and in Machine Printing at Levels 2 and 3.