Jobholders in this unit group sew and finish garments by hand or machine, rectify faults in manufactured textile goods and repair worn and damaged garments.
- Operates standard and specialised machines to sew, finish and repair garments and other textile, fabric, fur and skin products
- Examines fabrics of all types to identify imperfections and determine best method of repair
- Performs hand sewing tasks in the making, trimming and finishing of fur, sheepskin, leather, upholstery, mats, carpets, umbrellas and other textile products
- Embroiders decorative designs on textiles with machine stitching
- Cleans and oils machine and reports or remedies any mechanical faults.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is received off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Live job listings
- Sewing Machinist Updated 24 Aug 2019