Rail Construction & Maintenance Operatives
Rail construction and maintenance operatives lay, re-lay, repair and examine railway track and maintain surrounding areas.
- Patrols length of track and visually inspects rails, bolts, fishplates and chairs for distortion or fracture
- Checks tightness of bolts and wedges, replaces damaged rail chairs and repacks ballast under sleepers if necessary
- Lubricates points, examines fences, drains, culverts and embankments and carries out any necessary maintenance
- Spreads ballast and lays sleepers or metal plates at specified intervals
- Positions lengths of rail, sets of points and crossovers and secures rail with bolts, wooden wedges or clips
- Fastens together sections of rail by bolting fishplates to rails.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in Rail Transport Engineering are available at Levels 2 and 3.