Train & Tram Drivers
Job holders in this unit group drive diesel, diesel-electric, electric and steam locomotives that transport passengers and goods on surface and underground railways, and transport passengers in trams.
- Checks controls, gauges, brakes and lights before start of journey and studies route, timetable and track information
- Checks safety equipment, regulates the heating of passenger compartments and records engine defects or unusual incidents on the journey
- Starts train or tram when directed and operates controls to regulate speed
- Watches for track hazards, observes signals and temperature, pressure and other gauges
- Stops as directed to allow passengers to embark/ disembark
- Makes scheduled stops for the loading and unloading of freight and coupling/uncoupling of carriages and tubs
- Maintains radio contact with control centre
- May make passenger announcements and controls automatic doors
- May check travel passes, collect fares and deal with passenger queries.
There are no formal academic requirements. Entrants must pass a series of tests and a medical examination. Age restrictions apply in some areas of work. Good hearing, good eyesight and normal colour vision are required. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs are available at Level 2.